How we will use your information to deliver Tax-Free Childcare.

HMRC and NS&I are joint Data Controllers for the purposes of Tax-Free Childcare.

If you sign up to Tax-Free Childcare (TFC), we will use your information to set up a childcare provider account for you.

We will gather information we need to enable you to manage your childcare provider account and receive Tax-Free Childcare payments from parents. This includes:

  • your childcare provider 'Unique Reference Number' (given to you by your regulator, for example, Ofsted)
  • your business address (this may be the same as your personal address)
  • a primary contact name and contact email for your business
  • your business bank details (this may be the same as your personal bank details)

We may also share your details with other government departments, delivery partners or suppliers for the purposes of enabling or assisting the delivery of Tax-Free Childcare, for example, NS&I and Atos. We may also share your details if the law permits us to do so. For example, for the prevention or detection of crime and the protection of public funds.

There is further information on how HMRC uses data for research. We may use the information you provide for profiling to help us understand service demographics. For example, the geographical distribution of those using Tax-Free Childcare and/or 30 hours. You have the right to object if you do not want your data to be used in this way.

If you call us, we may monitor or record your call for training or quality assurance purposes.

Handling your information

We are committed to keeping all the information we hold about you secure, private and confidential.

We will only retain your personal information for as long as it's necessary for us to do so.

When we no longer have a legitimate or lawful need to keep your personal information, we will delete it.

Seeing what information we hold

If you want to see the personal information we hold for you, please complete an online Subject Access Request.

Alternatively, you can submit your request in writing to:

Childcare Service
HM Revenue and Customs

You will need to confirm your identity by sending HMRC your:

  • full name
  • National Insurance number or your Unique Taxpayer Reference (if you are operating as a sole trader)
  • date of birth (if you are operating as a sole trader or individual)
  • address history for the last 5 years
  • original signature (not needed for online requests)

You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office if you believe there is a problem with how we have handled your data.

You can find out more information on how HMRC processes your personal data and your rights. GOV.UK may also collect certain information about you.